Monday, February 1, 2010

I guess we'll just jump right in to it.

When a client hires a designer, they usually give some type of direction to work off of. This can be fun or suffocating. Luckily, I have never had too much to do with suffocating direction. Sometimes they want things that just don't make sense. Other times it gives you full creative freedom.

Lets start with something everyone should know!

Sesame Street! I started doing licensing designs for Sesame Street earlier last year. That means that when a licensing company hires me, they have the licenses for those brands and put their merchandise in stores. This was the last name I thought I would be working for. I loved it.
Ever seen that SNL short "On A Boat"? That was my directio
n for this design. The Cookie Monster tee is based off of the MTV show, Jersey Shore, with a "fist pump" parody.

These types of designs have to hit a person's funny bone. These shirts are targeting a 13-25 year old age range as those ages most likely know what the shirts are referring to visually. They are also unisex tees.

Freedom!


Lately I've been working on a line for a company called Rock Renaissance. They gave me total creative freedom with a style I love most: LA edge. Here is a picture by a friend of mine named Dirk Mai.


This fits the LA edge style in the ways that it has blacks and mild color. It kind of gives the bohemian vibe that Rock Renaissance called for when I heard their vision.
Here are some examples of what I came up with for that specific look:

I love doing these styles because it is right up my ally. Things that I would wear. That makes it a whole lot easier to design! These are also all unisex designs. I'll go into further explanation on how to really go about making a design stand out to a guy or a girl or both.

2 comments:

  1. Those shirts a hilarious. Is there a place I could buy one? I would love to get one for my brother. I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the aesthetics of the LA edge style, very classy, kind of sexy in a dangerous way. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete